Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any recommandation since i'm comming back to vbulletin.

vB Version
    4.2.x
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I ran vb 3 for years, switched to vb 4 and lost a lot of people do to it's suckyness ... i'm running 4 still and scared to try 5.

vB Version
    4.2.x
    Liked 2,181 Times in 1,175 Posts
    Stick to vB4. It's the best version.
    The Small Print
    Our staff assume members have read the rules and will not accept ignorance as an excuse for not following the them.
    The breaking of any rule WILL lead to you being warned or even banned without notice so don't risk it!

vB Version
    4.2.x
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Only registered members can view quoted posts.
    vBulletin 5 is alright, but I strongly suggest to stick with vBulletin 4 still mate.
    --vBulletin 4 Assistance Team--

vB Version
    4.2.x
    Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
    Hi:

I figured I would drop my two cents in, and here we go:

i am autistic therefore I rely heavily in consistency and can’t tolerate massive amounts of change very well without weeks of advance notice and training. I worked with IPB 2.x and couldn’t get the grasp of 3.x until just a few years ago (about 2013 or so). During my time with IPB 2.x I experimented with vbulletin 3.x and loved it because of all the customization options. When I heard that 4.x was a thing, I thought it was going to be just like my experience with IPB going from 2.x to 3.x but was pleasantly surprised when near same workflow, just more features and buttons. Going from vbulletin 4.x to 5.x is where my ability to tolerate change just completely stopped being a thing and I have never looked at vbulletin 5 again since that one time. Just like I still refuse to use IPB 4.x.

I know that I am the odd (and very extreme) example of low tolerance for change, but I have found that most users don’t like major change. If most users don’t like change, then board moderators and admins don’t like it either because they now have to not only re-learn their workflows but also deal with users who don’t like change either re-learning the workflow or just complaining and being unwilling to learn the new.

When I set up a vbulletin 4.2.x site, I do it the same way every time like clockwork from setup to initial login and configuration. I add on the mods appropriate for the task at hand, customize the skin, change the text, set up the forums structure and permissions, setup blogs and CMS where appropriate, and open the site up. Like clockwork and my record for having a site up and functioning is about 4 hours straight with no breaks. It’s that level of consistency that I need so I don’t pull my hair out.

The only thing that hasn’t been as consistent recently is getting my customers trained on vbulletin :-(. I set up the initial site and then train them on how to do things so I can be very hands off with their sites unless asked to help further (it’s their site not mine after all and they shouldn’t need to “call I.T.” just to do something they can do on their own). The customers who are the hardest for me to wrap my head around are those who either 1) have worked with something like phpBB or SMF and are having issues transitioning to vbulletin, or 2) those customers that don’t know anything about forums at all. The first group I can understand so long as I am not meant to do everything FOR THEM because they think I know the system better than them (or are unwilling to ask questions and experiment with the knowledge I give them). The second group of customers I will never understand because they want to build this awesome thing and then with no prior experience with forums making websites (even on front page or Dream Weaver) or willingness to learn expect me to not only read their mind as to what they want, but actually build it for them. We might as well say it’s completely my idea at that point.

Anyhow, I think I am trying to say that most people don’t like change, me to the extreme of that statement and apparently customers and end-users. Sorry for the rant and I hope it makes sense
    Carly G. Fleischmann:
    Customer Experience Lead / Sr. Web Dev.:
    XDS Support & Training Services

vB Version
    4.2.x
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i two am coming back to Vb, after trying MyBB IPB etc nothing has ever felt as good as Vbulletin boards, the only concern i have on vbulletin is there security. does anyone know the best version or measure to take against hackers? Thanks guys